Recipe: Chocolate Protein Frozen Yogurt
I was looking for a new way to get protein after my workout, and the idea of turning my protein shake into ice cream sounded good for the hot summer months. So here’s what I came up with!
- 1/2 cup fat-free greek yogurt (I used plain, but vanilla would work too, or a fruit flavor if you use vanilla protein powder and want a fruit-y flavored frozen yogurt)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder (depending on what flavor you want your frozen yogurt)
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- stevia or other natural sweetener, to taste
- 2 tablespoons semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Mix all ingredients together, omitting the chocolate chips.
- Make according to your ice cream maker directions (or use the freezer bag method), adding in chocolate chips or other add-ins at the end.
- Transfer frozen yogurt into bowl and sprinkle with some extra chocolate chips a viola!
I mixed the ingredients before heading to the gym in my blender bottle, then poured it in my cheap little single-serving ice cream maker when I got back. It turned out pretty well! It was frosty and thick and chocolatey, although a little runny (like melting ice cream) — which is actually how I like my ice cream so it worked for me. It should be noted that this turns out closer to frozen yogurt than to ice cream (mostly because it IS frozen yogurt haha).
BTW my ice cream maker ends up having a thin layer of frozen whatever I’m making on it that I scrape off and that’s what the shavings-looking stuff is on top!
Stats (using my protein powder): 250 calories / 3 grams fat / 38 grams protein